Monday, October 31, 2011

Lots of education news!

My head is spinning with all the BC education news this past week... Of course we're all stressed about the continued protracted labour dispute, and looking for some good news there.

But today's government announcement has me feeling a little more hopeful than I have recently: http://www.vancouversun.com/news/announces+plans+modernize+education+system/5623807/story.html

I have to say that I agree with Susan Lambert that teachers are the ones pushing schools into the 21st century as we take on the challenges of using technology in the classroom. In our classroom, Mrs. Kollen and I continue to try to get comfortable with the SMARTboard, and by introducing students to Google's tools and blogging, I am hoping that we are giving our students some of the background they will continue to need throughout their public schooling.

I am currently doing a post-bac diploma at SFU, and one video we were shown in a semester on technology really opened my eyes to the way the world has changed, even in the past five or ten years. I thought I'd share it with you too (some of you have probably already seen it):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ILQrUrEWe8

These are interesting times for our children...

0 comments:

Post a Comment